Shopify is a proprietary e-commerce software distributed by the Canadian company with the same name. It allows small and medium-sized retailers to create online stores themselves and outsource logistics.
To connect Shopify to Quentn, you need at least a Basic tariff.
Connect Quentn and Shopify
There are two ways to connect the two systems: from within Quentn or via Shopify.
Option 1: From within Quentn (recommended)
You already have the option of connecting Shopify and Quentn from within a campaign. Of course, you can also go directly via the Quentn settings.
From within a campaign
- Edit an existing campaign or create a new one.
- Create an event element of the type "Shopify" and double click to open it.
- You'll receive a message that no account has been connected yet. Click on the link.
- You'll now be directed to the Quentn menu API Info. Please read about further steps in the next point.
Quentn settings: API Info
- In the menu on the left-hand side, click on Settings and API Info.
- Go to the Shopify Accounts tab.
- Click on the green button Add Account.
- Give your account a name of your choice.
- For the field "Shop", enter the name of your shop.
Attention: The name must be written exactly as it appears in the shop URL. To avoid mistakes, go to your shop in Shopify and copy the name from the URL.
Example: the URL of the Quentn shop is
The shop name is therefore quentn-dev-shop
2. Option: From within Shopify
- In Shopify, click on Apps in the menu on the left-hand side or Visit our app page
- Click on the green button Explore Apps
- Enter Quentn in the search bar and select it.
- Click on Add App and then install Quentn.
The Shopify event element
The element offers you a variety of events that can be reacted to, which we'll explain here.
Open the element by double clicking on it and select the Shopify account you want to work with (this only works if you have created multiple shops).
If you select this event, it'll respond when a new contact is created in Shopify. The contact is then automatically created in Quentn and sent to the campaign.
As long as you also tick the "Update Contact" box, it will respond when an existing contact is edited in Shopify (e.g. address change, etc.).
Event: New order
If you select this event, it reacts as soon as an order/purchase has been made. Buyers are then created in Quentn and sent to the campaign.
If you tick "Generate tag from collection name", the buyer is given a suitable tag that is automatically generated from the collection name. To give you a better overview, you can also give the tag a prefix (a prefix), e.g. Shopify_
Now you can define the rules for email confirmation under "Email status". There are three options available to you:
- The email address is set to "confirmed" if the contact agreed to receive newsletters during checkout. Please note: for this method to work, you must also have the option enabled in Shopify. To do this, click on "Settings" -> "Checkout" in Shopify and go to "Email marketing". Place a checkmark next to "Show registration option at checkout".
- The email address is not confirmed, so the contact must still complete the double opt-in process.
- The contacts are always confirmed.
Then you can either click on "All products" if you want to respond to the purchase of all products, or you can just select specific products.
It goes without saying that you can also select entire collections.
Event: Shopping cart abandonment
Provided you've enabled the "Customer Accounts" feature in Shopify and a registered customer fills their shopping cart, clicks on "checkout" but doesn't make a purchase, you have the option to e.g. send them a message after a certain time to remind them about their goods.
Choose how long you want to wait after a shopping cart abandonment to start the next action.
You can choose to wait 1 hour, 6 hours, 10 hours or 24 hours.
In the same way, you can create a tag from the collection name and give it a prefix.
You again have the possibility of setting the rules for email confirmation.
In addition, you can also determine whether you want to respond to all or selected products that are in the shopping cart.
Attention: If you have selected a waiting time and it is then active, you will NOT see this contact in the status mode of the campaign at first - only when the set time has expired.
Example: A contact enters the element with a waiting time of 6 hours specified. For this reason, the contact remains "invisible" for 6 hours. They are only counted in the status mode once this time has expired.
If the contact doesn't make a purchase in the meantime, nothing will happen. However, the contact will be immediately created in Quentn.
You can still assign some fields at this point. The requirement, however, is that you have created these fields before! You can find out how to do this here. In all cases, you need a contact field with the type Text.
Field assignment: URL for abandoned shopping cart
You need this assignment, e.g. so that you can use a placeholder in an email to send the potential buyer a direct link to their shopping cart.
Field assignment: Customer ID
By assigning this field, you transfer the customer number (customer ID).
Field assignment: Total sales
Assigning these fields will show you the contact's total cumulative sales, i.e. how much money they've spent in your store in total.
If you want to disconnect the connection between Shopify and Quentn again, please proceed as follows:
- In Shopify, go to Apps. Here you'll see a list of your installed apps.
- Click on Delete to delete the connection.
Attention: It takes 48 hours for Quentn to find out about the disconnection. However, as soon as the connection is terminated on the part of Shopify, there will be no more exchange of data.
Disconnecting by accident
If the disconnection happened by accident, it's very easy to reconnect.
- In Quentn, go to Settings and API Info.
- Click on the Shopify tab.
- Here you'll still see the connection. Click on Actions and Reconnect.
- You'll be redirected to Shopify, where you'll have to confirm the installation of the app again.